Red Hat Expands OpenShift Ecosystem with Zend PartnershipOctober 15, 2012 No Comments
SOURCE: Red Hat
Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift Offers Simple, Highly Productive and Flexible Options for PHP Developers on PaaS
RALEIGH, NC – October 9, 2012 – Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, today announced that it has expanded its OpenShift Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) ecosystem by collaborating with Zend, the PHP Company. Red Hat’s collaboration with Zend brings further flexibility and ease of application development in the cloud to PHP developers via Red Hat’s OpenShift PaaS.
The new Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift offering provides a professional-grade PHP development and runtime environment, delivered with the benefits of the OpenShift PaaS. PHP applications deployed to Zend Server for OpenShift can access built-in debugging, monitoring and application performance tuning capabilities, making application development and management easier.
With this, developers can deploy a new industry-standard PHP environment with one click, and in addition will enjoy the performance benefits of Zend Server, the top commercial PHP application platform, for the applications they are developing. This will include data and bytecode caching and the ability to use job queue capability to speed up core application processes. OpenShift also makes it simple to plug in additional software cartridges like MongoDB, MySQL and PostgreSQL to work with developers’ PHP applications, offering further flexibility for development.
Available as a free service since May 2011, Red Hat’s OpenShift PaaS delivers to developers a cloud application platform with a choice of programming languages, frameworks and application lifecycle tools to build their applications. The platform provides built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl and Java and offers customizable cartridge functionality that allows developers to add additional languages they choose to develop in. OpenShift also supports many popular frameworks, including Zend, Java EE, Spring, Rails, Play and more.
At its launch, Red Hat OpenShift partnered with many cloud industry leaders via the OpenShift Partner Program and expands this ecosystem of partners today with its collaboration with Zend. Zend’s strong client base using Red Hat offerings made it logical to enable a collaboration with Red Hat via OpenShift that combined Red Hat and Zend’s respective open source and PHP leadership. Through its collaboration with Red Hat, Zend offers its developers access to Zend Server on OpenShift, bringing OpenShift’s flexibility and value into the hands of more developers around the world.
The combination of OpenShift and Zend offers PHP developers two immediate sets of benefits:
Zend Server for Red Hat OpenShift
- Simple “one-click” deployment to OpenShift of a PHP runtime environment, pre-enabled with the professional-grade performance and management capabilities of Zend Server
- Allows developers to focus on creating code immediately as the full environment is pre-deployed as ready-to-go, versus having to manage server and software configurations
- Rock-solid, enterprise-grade, certified PHP stack
- Code optimization for greater performance: built-in data caching and bytecode acceleration
- Job queue for performing PHP tasks in parallel to improve application performance and reduce bottlenecks
- Advanced debugging in the cloud: code tracing capability to quickly pinpoint issues’ root causes without having to recreate them
Zend Studio with OpenShift integration
- Fully featured Eclipse-based professional IDE is now integrated with OpenShift
- Zend Studio includes advanced productivity features, including refactoring, code assist and semantic analysis
- Simple “one-click” deployment to OpenShift of applications created in Zend Studio
- Makes it easy for teams to collaborate on application development
- Debug PHP applications directly in OpenShift PaaS
- Receive real-time alerts on issues
- Git and SFTP integration
Zend Server is available via Red Hat OpenShift at https://openshift.redhat.com/community/get-started/zend today.
Ashesh Badani, general manager, Cloud Business Unit and OpenShift, Red Hat
“Red Hat OpenShift offers developers a compelling combination of languages, frameworks and tools that allows for flexibility in building their applications. In comparison to alternative platforms, OpenShift offers a valuable ecosystem of partnerships that offers developers access to the true OpenShift platform for their development needs. Today, with the combination of Zend and OpenShift, it is much simpler to deploy and manage PHP applications in the cloud without the hassle of setting up servers and configuring software.”
Andi Gutmans, CEO, Zend
“With its long history of leadership and support of open technologies, Red Hat provides value to both developers and enterprises. We saw a strong opportunity to partner with OpenShift to make the enterprise capabilities of Zend Server available to the community of developers that are taking advantage of the OpenShift PaaS. With millions of PHP developers in the world today, it is exciting to be able to collaborate on an offering that combines the power of Zend’s leading tools for PHP developers and our enterprise-grade application server with the flexibility and strong ecosystem of integrated partner solutions that Red Hat is building with the OpenShift platform.”