What Can AI Actually Do Today?April 18, 2017 No Comments
Featured article by Rick DelGado, Independent Technology Author
Artificial intelligence (AI) has grown leaps and bounds in the last decade becoming reality no longer limited to science fiction. A common component of many popular films, movies with AI playing a critical role in the storyline include:
* Terminator (1984)
* The Iron Giant (1999)
* I, Robot (2004)
* Iron Man (2008)
* Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
The imagination of science fiction writers and filmmakers have opened our minds to the possibilities of AI and how AI can take civilization to the next level or how AI can be used to destroy civilization.
Beyond Pop Culture
Fortunately, there have been developments in AI not being used to destroy civilization but rather helping you improve your overall quality of life. These improvements have been seen in different industries. Here are five different things that AI can do today:
1. Navigation: Mobile apps such as Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze make it easy for us to navigate through unfamiliar countrysides and urban landscapes. Thanks to input from other drivers along with Waze’s software helps Waze users figure out the best route to their destination. There are few different groups of data that Waze constantly analyzes for you get to where you want to go safely and on time:
- Current weather conditions
- Roads you frequently use
- Input by other Waze users who help notify you of different issues and situations en route to your destination such as potholes, cars stopped in the shoulder lane or police cars on the side of the road.
Thanks to the amount of data being collected by Waze on regular basis, Waze users can be aware of upcoming road issues and weather conditions to help them get from point A to point B safely.
2. Entertainment: If you use Netflix, it’s AI that continues to recommend other comedies on Monday after watching classic funny movies all weekend long. According to The Motley Fool, Netflix uses AI to save $1 billion each year. With the help of AI, Netflix is able to keep you engaged by recommending shows you’ll love and prevent you from ending your Netflix subscription. To give you a better idea of how much Netflix is willing to spend on AI to keep you entertained, Netflix spent $651 million. The willingness of Netflix to invest in AI to keep you entertained has resulted in original Netflix shows such as Marco Polo and Netflix TV series of Marvel heroes such as Daredevil.
3. Banking: According to Bank Innovation, customers are already experiencing the benefits of AI without realizing it. AI has been seamlessly integrated in everyday banking activities helping bank customers effectively in a way that customers can take care of their many banking needs without technological hiccups. Arif Ahmed, a senior vice president within U.S. Bank, said that AI now plays major role in fraud management. Thanks to the advancement of AI, customers can be protected from potential scammers as AI does the work of analyzing multiple data points to protect customers fraud. Other ways AI helps banking customers is by helping them open new savings accounts and analyze their personal finances.
4. Shopping: The online shopping industry has been putting AI to work increase sales for years now. Think about how you receive product recommendations every time you log into Amazon. After clicking on different products and buying products you are interested in or need, Amazon has collected multiple pools of data about your buying habits helping you easily find products you will end up loving. Amazon is investing more into tech development than ever before according to Techcrunch. At the rate Amazon is working on AI software, customers may soon be able to book a flight with their voice.
5. Security: The ability to protect personal and business assets with the integrated solutions provided by security companies has greatly improved thanks to increased usage of AI in the security industry. Homeowners can now know if someone is at their doorstep without having to actively watch their security cameras because AI security systems can notify them when motion is detected. Businessowners can prevent unauthorized attempts to enter their facilities thanks to audio deterrent technology without sacrificing major financial losses.
AI Moving Forward
You’ve read five examples of AI being used in different industries and how AI improves your everyday life. As society continues to imagine the possibilities and technology continues to advance, AI will continue to make life more productive, safer and easier.
by Rick DelGado, Independent Author
“I’ve been blessed to have a successful career and have recently taken a step back to pursue my passion of writing. I’ve started doing freelance writing and I love to write about new technologies and how it can help us and our planet.” – Rick DelGado