Laying the Foundation for VirtualizationMay 2, 2011 No Comments
It’s no secret that virtualization is changing the face of IT departments across the country and around the world. But, as many companies have discovered, without applying a service management framework to their storage infrastructure – and using new backup technologies – the merits of virtualization (e.g., reduced storage & network consumption, simplified operations, and improved storage visibility) can be lost.
To rectify some of the often unexpected problems with virtualization, IT departments need to:
- See the data path. With a full understanding of how applications are spread across the company’s resources, storage administrators can more easily identify potential bottlenecks or failure points in a data path.
- Improve storage utilization. By tracking the availability and usage of resources, IT professionals can determine how much storage is currently available, reclaim underused storage, increase storage utilization and more accurately estimate an organization’s storage needs.
- Standardize storage operations. This will help control costs, improve service levels, reduce the time required for application deployment, and decrease the possibility of errors.
- Integrate with business processes. By aligning storage operations with the business, IT professionals can get a clear analysis of consumed and unconsumed storage resources – and anticipate storage needs more accurately.
- Deduplicate files. By deduplicating files closer to the information source, companies can reduce infrastructure, consolidate storage, gain efficient virtual server protection, and simplify their storage management.
- Maintain security continuity. By maintaining visibility to potential rogue or non-compliant virtual machines, IT departments can avoid costly service disruptions as well as minimize potential escalations of storage resource requirements due to unauthorized provisioning.
How Symantec Can Help
Featuring a wide range of solutions for virtualization, Symantec enables companies to enjoy the benefits of virtualization, while preserving best practices for efficiency and cost savings from their physical environment. Just some of the tools designed to help improve companies’ success with virtualization include:
- Veritas CommandCentral Storage. This software solution lays the foundation for optimizing data centers by providing companies with a single view of the full storage stack from application to spindle. It also helps companies improve storage utilization, optimize resources, increase data availability, and reduce capital and operational costs.
- Symantec NetBackup. With NetBackup, companies can get integrated source- and target-based deduplication, enabling more efficient backups and faster restores of virtual environments through deep hypervisor integration, manage both physical and virtual servers and multiple backup and recovery products through one console, and more.
- Symantec Security Portfolio. Symantec Protection for Virtualization helps to seamlessly protect your mission critical virtual environment and confidently extend your density goals to vital business workloads. Rely on consistent and uninterrupted security and compliance effectiveness across your physical and/or virtual environments with no trade offs in the performance and availability of your virtual applications and infrastructure.