Having Trouble Getting Cardio In? “There’s an App for That!”April 22, 2013 No Comments
SOURCE: Bradenton Cardiology Center
BRADENTON, Fla. (April 22, 2013) – In today’s market of the all-encompassing cell phone it is no surprise that our mobile devices are not only tools for online banking and downloading favorite tunes, but also for staying healthy.
A study by the Journal of the American College of Cardiology shows that maintaining or improving fitness is directly associated with lower risk for development of cardiovascular risk factors.
When facing the issue of obesity or inactivity in heart patients, Dr. Anthony Pizzo of Bradenton Cardiology Center says, “There’s an app for that!”
There are several apps in both the itunes App Store and in Google Play that can be used as pedometers, digital personal trainers, fitness planners and cardio activity trackers.
“Any app that increases levels of activity and exercise is great,” Dr. Pizzo says.
Here is his list recommended apps to make your smart phone heart smart:
- Daily Cardio Workout: Offers 5 to ten minute daily cardio routines for both men and women that are demonstrated by a personal trainer.
- CardioTrainer: Keeps track of indoor and outdoor activities and results on-the-go. It reviews workouts on an advanced GPS and pedometer with statistics such as distance, speed, and number of calories burned. Users can stay motivated by sharing their weekly schedule with facebook friends.
- Cardio Buddy: A camera-based app that measures heart rate in real-time based on changes in facial coloration. It instantly provides pulse results and visualizations. The app is designed to help users measure and track their overall heart health by offering a history of readings and analysis that provides a complete picture of cardiovascular health.
- MapMyRun: Offers professionally developed training plans for all distances and ability levels including running, walking, 5k plans and 10k plans.
- ITGO: Features dual music playlists for fast and slow intervals in addition to voice, beep or custom prompts, double vibration on the iPhone and concentric dial timers that include separate interval timers as well as a session timer.
- BeatBurn uses beat-sync technology, changing the beat of your music to perfectly match your pace!
These tools make it easy for even the busiest person to take an active role in their own heart health.
“Knowing some of my patients have access to utilize these apps is great! Sharing their results with family and friends is a great motivator. Sharing the results with me or their primary care physician is a great way showing the patient taking action for their own health. We love to see that,” Dr. Pizzo says.
About Bradenton Cardiology Center:
Bradenton Cardiology Center is a full service heart center. Founded by Doctors George Thomas and Ballard Smith in 1984, the team of cardiologists has expertise in all areas of invasive and non-invasive cardiac testing and treatment. The center is a complete cardiac care facility. Bradenton Cardiology Center offers superior care in medicine while providing a personal, compassionate approach in patient care. Bradenton Cardiology Center is located on 316 Manatee Ave. West.
For more information, visit www.BradentonCardiology.com or call 941-748-2277 to make an appointment.DIGITAL HEALTH, MOBILE DATA