SpiderOak Announces First 100% Private Enterprise-Class Cloud ServicesApril 17, 2012 No Comments
SpiderOak Blue Provides Enterprises with ‘Zero Knowledge’ Privacy Environment to Fully Own and Manage Data
SAN FRANCISCO, CA-APRIL 16, 2012-SpiderOak, the `zero-knowledge’ cloud backup, sync and sharing environment, today announced the release of SpiderOak Blue. SpiderOak Blue is the world’s first truly private enterprise-class cloud storage system. Companies benefit from fully owning and managing all of their data regardless of where the data resides.
SpiderOak Blue offers the same zero-knowledge privacy guarantees and consumer-friendly online backup, secure syncing and easy sharing as SpiderOak’s existing end-user products. In addition, SpiderOak Blue enables centralized management and provisioning of all company data, saving IT departments the onus of administering each user account individually. Companies retain complete ownership and administration of all their data – knowing that SpiderOak employees can never view their company’s data for any reason (even under subpoena).
“Today’s companies struggle with the consumerization of their IT infrastructures,” said Ethan Oberman, CEO of SpiderOak. “When employees use consumer-oriented tools for enterprise purposes, they run the risk of exposing company data to applications and cloud infrastructure that guarantees neither privacy nor confidentiality. SpiderOak Blue combines the ease of use that consumers demand with an advanced enterprise system that lets companies retain full ownership over their data in a `zero-knowledge’ privacy environment.”
“There is no question that the cloud storage market is experiencing rapid growth as enterprises realize the inherent value of storing data in the cloud,” said Richard Stiennon, Chief Research Analyst at IT-Harvest. “The real ‘X factor’ for companies hosting data in the cloud is their fundamental approach to how they not only view security, but privacy. The industry has experienced several high-profile internal data breaches which can ultimately be traced back to the fact that data was easily accessible to employees and IT staff. As the cloud storage market continues to mature, privacy will continue to play a critical role in terms of a multi-tiered security infrastructure. You can’t lose what you can’t see – this is the essence of the ‘Zero Knowledge’ approach.”
SpiderOak Blue is Custom-Built for the Enterprise
SpiderOak Blue is designed for easy, efficient deployment and administration. Enterprises retain full data ownership in SpiderOak’s stable, fault-tolerant, high-performance and fully scalable environment. Features include:
- LDAP / Active Directory user account integration
- RSA SecurID integration
- Private Cloud Capabilities; Install your own cloud behind the corporate firewall
- Easy-to-use web-based management console for user provisioning, reporting, group permissions and space management
- Bulk create and manage user accounts; download and edit via CSV
- Corporate-level managed controls that can be pushed down to all individual clients
- Detailed statistical and trouble-shooting reports on user activity
- Selectively enable or disable Web and mobile access to individual accounts or groups
- Easy-to-deploy MSI installers for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
- The ability to follow policy-set permissions in the Windows Registry or as a text file in Linux (through /etc) or Mac (through /Library)
- Simple Straightforward Pricing: Pay for space and divide it among users as needed
SpiderOak Blue: The Specifics
Companies can choose from a suite of three SpiderOak Blue products, each with unique capabilities suited for a variety of sizes and types of organizations.
Designed for small-to-medium sized businesses (SMBs), SpiderOak Blue allows for centralized management and access to data. The organization owns and can view all data – including information inside a built-in data auditing interface. Companies can reset passwords (via browser-driven `zero-knowledge’ encryption) and view in depth reporting inside the web-based management console.
SpiderOak: Blue OpenLicense (OL)
Based on SpiderOak’s current OpenLicense program, SpiderOak Blue OL features all the benefits of SpiderOak Blue while placing data ownership into the hands of end users. Enterprise administrators handle general information – including user statistics and the amount of data stored per account. However, SpiderOak Blue OL does not provide any method of changing or resetting user passwords – end users remain responsible for their passwords.
SpiderOak believes common use cases include universities and schools.
SpiderOak: Blue Plus
SpiderOak Blue + is designed for the enterprise. The Blue Virtual Appliance places all management control into an open-source virtual machine (VM) that runs on company infrastructure – enabling full control of all data flowing in and out of an organization through SpiderOak. Features include:
- Key escrow technology decouples passwords from encryption for Blue + accounts. Private master keys give company administrators full control over all company data.
- User account integration with Microsoft Active Directory, OpenLDAP, and RedHat Directory Server. Directory group membership provides SpiderOak account entitlement.
- Integrated password management via either LDAP bind or RADIUS (e.g. RSA SecurID)
- Users on company-defined LDAP groups automatically visible inside SpiderOak’s web-based management console.
- SpiderOak retains zero knowledge of web and mobile access as well as user auditing and administrative data restoration. While enterprises retain full knowledge and administrative control, all company data retains SpiderOak’s `Zero-Knowledge Privacy Standard’.
SpiderOak provides a cloud backup, sync, and sharing environment that is 100-percent private. Our Zero-Knowledge Privacy Standard ensures absolute confidentiality between you and your data, everywhere, every time and from every device. With SpiderOak, you maintain full and complete control of your data in a centralized, managed and fully protected environment. SpiderOak: we’ve got your back(up).